Saturday, September 27, 2008

Muxtape R.I.P.?


"I talked to a lot of very smart lawyers and other people whose opinions on the matter I respected, trying to gain a consensus for Muxtape’s legality. The only consensus seemed to be that there was no consensus. I had two dozen slightly different opinions that ran the gamut from “Muxtape is 100 per cent legal and you’re on solid ground,” to “Muxtape is a cesspool of piracy and I hope you’re ready for a hundred million dollar lawsuit and a stint at Rikers.”"

Read the story of Muxtape. Sasha Frere Jones on his New Yorker blog comments on the affair. It ends: "Can you name ten good things the R.I.A.A. has done for music? Five? Three?" Well...can you?

The R.I.A.A. is, of course, the infamous Recording Industry Association of America, the association that primarily takes care of the interests of the FOUR major record labels, those responsible for 81.87% (in 2006) of the music you listen to and love: Sony-BMG, Universal, EMI and Warner.

Good industry oriented story in The Village Voice this week about MySpace. The same people forcing Muxtape to close down are the ones running MySpace. There's something to be learned here.

No comments: