Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Yes Men: Culture Jamming or Tactical Media


See the Rachel Maddow report on yet another wildly successful Yes Men hoax this time involving the US Chamber of Commerce and the revelation that the CoC was reversing its position on climate change policy and was promising to immediately cease lobbying against the Kerry-Boxer bill.The fake news conference was preceded by a fake on-line press release (Find that here.)

Note that the url to the press release is www.chamber-of-commerce.us while the real CoC website is at www.uschamber.com. Look around and you can see how The Yes Men operate in setting up fake corporate and government agency websites as part of their jamming tactics.

More media repercussions. Here's FoxNews giving the news live on the air and then immediately retracting the story. Who said Fox does not fact-check?

1 comment:

Jbombasaro@gmail.com said...

When I first watched the Rachel Maddow report months ago, I was SO confused and had to watch the clip several times to understand what was going on. Later, my parents went to go see the actual film about the Yes Men -- when I get back to the States I will most definitely see it!

Talk about a revolutionary form of political street theater!